Lennon on Maharishi

on Saturday, April 16, 2011




You wrote "Sexy Sadie" about the Maharishi?

"That's about the Maharishi, yes. I copped out and I wouldn't write "Maharishi what have you done, you made a fool of everyone," but now it can be told, Fab Listeners."

When did you realize he was making a fool of you?

"I don't know, I just sort of saw him."

While in India?

"Yes, there was a big hullabaloo about him trying to rape Mia Farrow and trying to get off with Mia Farrow and a few other women and things like that. And we went down to him after we stayed up all night discussing "was it true or not true?" When George started thinking it might be true, I thought, well, it must be true, because if George is doubting him, there must be something in it.

So we went to see Maharishi; the whole gang of us the next day charged down to his hut, his bungalow, his very rich-looking bungalow in the mountains. I was the spokesman, as usual, when the dirty work came, I had to be the leader - wherever the scene was, when it came to the nitty-gritty, I had to do the speaking. And I said, "We're leaving." He asked why and all that shit, and I said, "Well, if you're so cosmic, you'll know why," because he was always intimating, and there were all these right-hand men intimating, that he did miracles. And I said, "You know why." And he said, "I don't know why, you must tell me," and I just kept saying, "You ought to know." He gave me a look like, "I'll kill you, you bastard," and he gave me such a look. And I knew then, when he looked at me, you know, because I had called his bluff, because I said if you know all, you know. Cosmic consciousness, that's what we're all here for. I was a bit rough on him."

http://books.google.com/books?id=Nzz7M5FvWiUC&pg=PA136&lpg=PA136&dq=the+whole+gang+of+us+the+next+day+charged+down+to+his+hut%2C+his+bungalow%2C+his+very+rich-looking+bungalow+in+the+mountains.&source=web&ots=E-_DYrbWz-&sig=KSZi2bH2-GDtOKOCib4Cs6CmWIg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGqpOn3asb4