By the way, acetylcysteine can also:
1. Prevent hangovers by cleaning up the byproducts of alcohol metabolism.
2. Preserve fruit (not just avocados) by preventing oxidation (it's an antioxidant).
3. Cure a Tylenol overdose by supporting the body's glutathione production.
4. Disinfecting replacement artificial lenses before surgery (it breaks bacterial biofilms).
5. Chelate and remove heavy metals from the body.
6. Prevent death if taken soon after fatal doses of various poisons are ingested or injected in lab rats.
It does a lot of other cool stuff, too (probably). For example it's being tested on mentally ill patients:
"Acetylcysteine has been shown to reduce the symptoms of both schizophrenia and bipolar disorder in two placebo controlled trials conducted at Melbourne."