Copper Doorknobs Disinfect Themselves

on Saturday, April 2, 2011

Copper is germicidal; brass or copper alloy doorknobs disinfect themselves of many bacteria within a period of eight hours. Hospitals are considering moving to copper doorknobs, bathroom fixtures, and light switches because several of the the bacteria responsible for nearly two million hospital-acquired infections contracted each year in the United States are effectively killed on contact with copper alloy.

MRSA, leading hospital acquired infection, killed by copper. It's basically an antibiotic resistant strain of Staph. Cause horrible blistering infections.

EPA registration allows the manufacturers of copper alloys to legally make public health claims as to the health effects of these materials.

Copper is germicidal via the oligodynamic effect. The oligodynamic effect is a toxic effect of metal-ions on living cells, algae, molds, spores, fungus, virus, prokaryotic and eukaryotic microorganisms, even in relatively low concentrations. This antimicrobial effect is shown by ions of: mercury, silver, copper, iron, lead, zinc, bismuth, gold, aluminium and other metals.

The exact mechanism of action is still unknown. Data from silver suggest that these ions denature proteins (enzymes) of the target cell. Viruses in general are not very sensitive. The toxic effect is fully developed often only after a many hours.

Stainless steel doorknob cultured

Copper doorknob cultured