Walmart

on Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Luke Kim: "I shop at Wal-Mart regularly. On a recent trip, I purchased 45 items. The maddening part of the trip was watching my inept cashier bag the items in 28 bags! I purchased mostly standard grocery items, which should fit 4-8 per bag, not 1.6 items per bag! Inefficient packaging upsets me, but nothing I could have said would have made a difference. In addition, she was bagging so slowly. While many people marvel at the talent and productivity of companies like Google and Microsoft, I am often more impressed by companies like Wal-Mart. It fascinates me how a few smart people can design this behemoth of a company that basically needs no skilled workers for the bulk of its employee base. It's like walking into a nuclear factory only to find out it's a bunch of mice running on kinetic energy wheels."